2009 American Recovery & Reinvestment Act
Energy Efficiency Tax Credits
On February 17, 2009, President Obama signed a stimulus bill (The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009) that made some significant changes to the energy efficiency tax credits. The highlights are:
- Tax credits that were previously effective for 2009, have been extended to 2010 as well.
- Tax credit has been raised from 10% to 30% with a max credit of $1500
- Tax credits that were for a specific dollar amount (ex: $300 for an AC) have been converted to 30% of the cost, which includes installation.
- Furnaces incorporating an advanced Main Air Circulating Fan that uses no more than 2% of the furnace's total energy are eligible for a tax credit of up to 9% of the installed cost of the furnace, up to $1,500.
Summary of Equipment Efficiency Qualifications:
All qualifications in the equipment group must be satisfied to qualify for the credit
- Split Air Conditioning: 16 SEER & 13 EER
- Split Heat Pump: 15 SEER, 12.5 EER & 8.5 HSPF
- Gas Furnace: 95% AFUE
- Packaged Equipment: 14 SEER, 12 EER & 8 HSPF
Administration is the responsibility of the IRS. Actual tax credit amount is based on your personal tax situation and you should consult a tax professional to determine your potential credit. Review and print a copy of the Ducane™ Tax Credit Certificate and the Matched System Guide for specific qualifying system matches and keep for your records and future tax filing. Please contact your local independent dealer for more details or visit the ENERGY STAR® website.
SEER - Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating
EER - Energy Efficiency Ratio
HSPF - Heating Seasonal Performance Factor (applies to Heat Pumps only)
AFUE - Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency
Split Air Conditioning
Split Heat Pump
95% AFUE Furnace
Other Furnace Models**
*Qualifying equipment is subject to change based on IRS rules. Some equipment qualifications are based on a specific AHRI system match. Please contact your local independent dealer for details.
**Furnaces with a Qualified Main Air Circulating Fan (up to a 9% tax credit only)